National Academy of Engineers elects ISO-NE Chief Technologist Eugene Litvinov as new member
The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) announced February 6 that it has elected ISO New England Chief Technologist Dr. Eugene Litvinov to its 2020 class. Litvinov was one of
105 engineers selected this year for membership.
The NAE is well known as being one of the most honorable professional distinctions in the industry for overall excellence in engineering. The organization awards membership honors to those who “have made outstanding contributions to engineering research, practice, or education.” The NAE credited Dr. Litvinov’s election “for development of optimization mathematics for new electricity markets and innovative applications for electric grid control, visualization, and planning.”
As Chief Technologist at ISO-NE, Dr. Litvinov has demonstrated outstanding innovation in three major areas: power system analysis, control, and visualization; electricity standard market design and implementation; and application of advanced IT technology in power industry. An IEEE fellow, Dr. Litvinov’s major accomplishments include:
- Creation of one of the leading R&D departments in the industry
- Leading the implementation of nodal electricity market in New England
- Designing and implementing major market clearing algorithms and models
- Leading development of in-house market settlement system – one of the most successful settlement systems in the industry
- Pioneering implementation of cloud computing in the industry
- Pioneering implementation of robust optimization approach in economic dispatch
- Introducing and implemented a set of new algorithms and applications of Phasor Measurement Units, including oscillation source location – the most robust algorithm in the industry
- Over 200 publications with more than 2000 citations
“Eugene’s technical breadth and depth across power system operations, planning, electricity markets, and information technology are unique in the industry,” said Vamsi Chadalavada, Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer. “His contributions are well recognized internationally, but we at the ISO are proud to call him one of our own.”
Dr. Litvinov and all newly elected members are scheduled to be formally inducted on Oct. 4, 2020 at NAE’s annual meeting in Washington, D.C. The ceremony will include short remarks on each elected member’s engineering accomplishments.
Litvinov said he is grateful for the opportunity to become a part of an organization deemed the highest recognition in engineering and science. “This is a big honor and recognition of my 40 years of work in the industry,” he said.
- Inside ISO New England